What is Citizen Development?
According to leading global research and advisory firm Forrester, in the U.S. alone there will be a deficit of 500,000 developers by 2024 (How To Harness Citizen Developers To Expand Your AD&D Capacity, Forrester Research, Inc., April 19, 2017).
Across all industries and global markets, the demand for software is skyrocketing higher and faster than traditional Java or .NET developers can keep up with. IT departments can only manage to maintain mission critical and core systems to keep the the organization running smoothly. This leaves departments like, legal, sales, customer service, marketing, and field operations behind with their needs remaining unmet.
Here’s some good news--there’s a solution. With the CitizenDeveloper Platform, it’s never been easier for business end-users to create their own IT solutions. These business end-users are referred to as Citizen Developers.
Who is a Citizen Developer?
According to Gartner, "A citizen developer is a user who creates new business applications for consumption by others using development and runtime environments sanctioned by corporate IT. In the past, end-user application development has typically been limited to single-user or workgroup solutions built with tools like Microsoft Excel and Access. However, today, end users can build departmental, enterprise and even public applications using shared services, fourth-generation language (4GL)-style development platforms and cloud computing services."
Unlike a professional developer, a citizen developer usually has no formal training in programming and developing may not be part of their actual job description. Citizen deveopers are members of an organizatin that think of creative ideas to improve areas of business such as customer relationship management, internal operations and product development. Often times, these individuals are those that have created Excel sheets or use other low-level database platforms to improve business process.
Why are Citizen Developers Needed?
Citizen developers benefit their organization and the overall IT landscape in a number of ways. Here are the 5 biggest benefits of citizen developers.
- Citizen Developers support an organizations ability to react when there is a need for change by helping to drive digital transformation. Citizen developers can aptly contribute applications that automate business processes and fully digitize systems.
- Speed. Businesses have an ongoing demand for applications and need solutions now. Using the CitizenDeveloper Platform, citizen developers can build solutions rapidly, easily and effectively in a matter of days or weeks, rather than months.
- Better alignment between the business departments and IT. Citizen developers align business and IT by bridging the gap between interests that potentially diverge. Citizen developers combine business acumen with CitizenDeveloper Platform skills to develop applications that have business goals in mind, but work closely with IT to bring ideas to action.
- Citizen developers will only become more valuable as theirCitizenDeveloper Platform skills grow to be more advanced in time. The more experience using the CitizenDeveloper Platform citizen developers gain, the more their development skills will expand to deliver greater business value.
- Citizen developers ignite the spark of innovation. Organizations often rely on their IT team or external software providers when they have a need for a new product. However, with IT teams bogged down maintaining existing systems there isn’t always room to innovate. The CitizenDeveloper Platform enables citizen developers to explore new solutions and business models to better serve their own needs and the needs of their customers.
Benefits of the CitizenDeveloper Platform
BlackCSI and its partner CitizenDeveloper, LLCbring citizen development to organizations with the CitizenDeveloper Platform. During project implementations, BlackCSI will provides overall project management, business analysis and requirements, training, and testing expertise while CitizenDeveloper provides the CitizenDeveloper Platform and performs the application development/configuration, testing, and hosting expertise.
Below are some key statistics for the CitizenDeveloper Platform.
CitizenDeveloper Platform Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
Applications developed with the CitizenDeveloper Platform are supported by industry leading Service Level Agreements (SLAs).